- Spend 2 – 6 months living at our project base in Livingstone, Zambia, where young girls are faced with social isolation, high rates of gender-based violence, economic vulnerability, and lack of appropriate health services.
- Form part of our Girl Impact initiative that seeks to empower these young women through workshops, mentorship and support in the following 6 areas; education, health, safety, early pregnancy, self-confidence and income generation.
- Gain exposure to international development issues
- Be supported by a Personal Development Coach and Academic Trainer to acquire and develop new skills.
- Help develop new programs and monitor the impact of our existing initiatives
- Work alongside other passionate volunteers and interns
- Live in the adventure capital of Africa; Livingstone, near one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World – Victoria Falls!
Join our experienced and hardworking team in Zambia who are dedicated to improving gender equality and promoting female empowerment, while gaining professional experience within the frame work of international development and specializing gender empowerment programs. This internship speaks to someone who is passionate about gender issues, developing hard-skills in a non-profit role and using their strengths to mentor and provide support on education, health, prevention of early pregnancy, personal safety, sustainable living and growth in self-belief.
|DEPARTURE TIME||Upon request|
We pledge to help you find cheap flights that won’t bust your budget. We know you want to put more of your hard-earned cash toward exploring the sites and less on the price of your airfare.
Go explore! Find your suitable cheap flight!
Cheap Flights to Livingstone
|Origin||Departure date||Return date||Find Ticket|
NOTE: All prices are shown in us dollars
⇒ Didn’t find what you are looking for from our suggestions? Just click on tickets from… and continue searching.
AS AN INTERN, YOU WILL:
Livingstone, Zambia is a beautiful, rural town that many call “the real Africa.” Just a stone’s throw away from one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World – Victoria Falls – Livingstone is the ultimate playground for those who love adventure sports, wildlife and the great outdoors. Whether you bungee jump, swim in the ‘Devil’s Pool’, feed some crocodiles, white water raft down the mighty Zambezi or just enjoy a breath-taking sunset, you will experience things that only Livingstone can offer!
As an intern in Livingstone, you will be fully immersed in the rural community every day, but will be based in a private volunteer house within the popular and welcoming Livingstone Backpackers. You will have access to a lovely swimming pool, hot tub, lounge and bar area and if that wasn’t enough, a full climbing wall as well! Your accommodation is a 5 minute walk away from Livingstone’s town center, which has many stores and a great selection of bars and restaurants.
Aside from being the ‘Adventure Capital’ of Africa, Livingstone is also an amazing place to spot wildlife, as there are many national parks where you can observe lions, rhinos, hippos, crocodiles, elephant and giraffes and often, we spot some of these animals along the road on our way to project!
Whether you’re interning abroad to gain work experience during your gap year, looking to take a career break or just want a new challenge, Livingstone is the place to be!
Implement The “6 Pillars”:
During your placement, you will be working on a number of existing initiatives that are based around our 6 pillars: education, health, safety, income generation, early pregnancy and self-confidence.
This will include our adolescent gender empowerment program (AGEP), which aids in the development of girls between 10 and 16, as well as working with a women’s group to teach skills and income generation techniques.
Develop New Programs:
Using the 6-pillar framework, you will use your time and passion to develop new programs to empower young women. We love for our interns to share their skills with the girls we work with, including backgrounds in confidence building activities, self defense, or even dance as a form of self expression!
It is also essential to include developing a framework for how to include more boys in our outreach.
This is an area we specialize in as we recognize its importance. You will have 3 professional experts to support you as an individual:
1. A senior member of the African Impact staff team on the ground who will add context to your specific interest within this field; this will provide a deeper insight into the history of Zambia, as well as the challenges for women.
2. A highly qualified personal Development Coach to work with you through one to one and group discussion. They support you with the tools to use throughout your experience and beyond, exploring personal goals and opportunities for your future.
3. Monitoring and evaluation is the measure of the impact of your work. You will be guided by our Educational Trainer on how to analyze data and translate it into valuable communications.
Other Duties and Learning:
Interns are required to submit a weekly journal entry, as well as a final reflection (which demonstrates growth over the course of the internship), as well get involved in fundraising activities to generate donations for the program, and social media. We will support you in collecting information, and teaching you how to use this practically on the ground to share in a clear message worldwide.
During your stay at your “home” in Livingstone, the Livingstone Backpackers, you have the opportunity to play volleyball with the locals, explore the variety of restaurants and bars in town, have a “movie under the star night”, and braai with your group of new friends. The backpackers has beautiful big swimming pool and bar area which is great place to relax after a hard days work.
Victoria Falls Adventure:
Livingstone is your ticket to adventure. Take advantage of your proximity to the great and mighty Victoria Falls, as well as the other adventures the Zambezi has to offer. Zambezi boat cruises, river safaris, white water rafting and canoe trips are all ways in which you can encounter these great waters. You can also ride bike trails or view the scenery from the air in a microlight or helicopter.
For the adrenaline junkies, why not try the famous bungee jump or gorge swing?
Go On A Safari:
Livingstone, Zambia is safari country. Here, you can spot a whole lot of wildlife, do rhino bush walks or even take a boat safari to spot elephants off the Zambezi River. You can also go on weekend outings to the world famous Chobe National Park, which is across the border in Botswana.
Although you will be spending time in the community, you will also be able to embark on a cultural tour to a local African village, giving you further insight into another way of life. You can also shop at some of the many markets and stock up on locally hand-made goods for your loved ones back home.